The sheen of oily skin feels unattractive, and detracts from the fresh look many of us prefer. Why does our skin get so oily? Unfortunately, genetics is the primary cause and there’s not much we can do about that. Hormonal ups and downs, stress and humid weather can increase the oil your skin produces. Also, heavy makeup can trap oil and trigger acne problems. Touching your skin with fingers or cell phone also make the problem worse. After all, the oil plays a role in keeping skin healthy and supple. The problem arises when there’s too much of a good thing – as excess oil leads to acne and other blemishes. We’ve got a few tips for oily skin to help you achieve a balance.
Skin Care Tips For Oily Skin
Gentle foaming cleanses are the best way to manage oily skin. Both morning and night, a gentle cleanser will help keep oil under control. Harsh soaps can actually trigger oil production. A washcloth or buff puff can have the same effect.
If those steps haven’t sufficiently cut oiliness, try a product that includes an acid such as benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid or beta-hydroxy acid. These are often referred to as acne products, but they’re fine for oily skin, too. Cosmetic blotting papers help remove oil without drying your skin. Medicated pads with glycolic acid, salicylic acid or other oil-cutting acid ingredients also help control oil.
For some people, facial masks and clays help draw out oils and cleanses pores, but there may be drying. Kaolin is the ingredient in clay that absorbs oil and helps soothe skin; once per week is plenty. Matifying primers can also help absorb oil and reduce the shine. When choosing sunscreens, look for an oil-free sunscreen.
Regular facials are good for all skin types but especially for oily skin. Read this post for more information on how often you should be getting a facial.
Facial Products For Oily Skin
At TrueMedSpa, we advise patients to use our Epionce GENTLE FOAMING CLEANSER, which effectively removes surface impurities and dissolves makeup without leaving the skin feeling tight, dry or stripped of its natural protective oils. This very gentle cleanser is comprised of natural Willow Bark Extract, Date Fruit Extract and Marshmallow Extract and is set at optimal pH, so it’s ideal for normal-to-combination skin. The cleanse won’t harm skin and the extracts provide a natural protective barrier. The cleanser leaves skin feeling comfortable and clean.
LYTIC GEL CLEANSER is an Epionce favorite, a refreshing go-to cleanser for oily and problem skin types. This cleanser effectively dissolves dirt, oil and makeup, and calms the visible appearance of irritated skin without over-drying. It cleanses without harming the skin’s protective barrier, and is ideal for oily/problem, scaling or blemished skin. Ingredients: Willow Bark Extract, Date Fruit Extract and Marshmallow Extract.
PURIFYING TONER helps remove traces of dirt, oil and makeup. Botanical ingredients reduce surface shine while helping control factors that can lead to the visible appearance of problem or irritated skin. Set at optimal pH, the cleanse gently reduces oil, shine and blemishes. Great for combination, oily and problem skin. Ingredients: Willow Bark Extract, Salicylic Acid, Marshmallow Root Extract, Menthol
Best Facial For Oily Skin
Our True Acne Facial is an effective way to get rid of excess oil as well as non-inflammatory or comedonal acne (whiteheads and blackheads). Comedones occur when pores get clogged with oil and dead skin cells. Facial exfoliation takes off the top layer of skin, which unclogs pores and helps oil flow naturally through the follicles, thus avoiding future breakouts. Extractions remove the existing comedones, which both helps your appearance and also lessens the likelihood of developing a pimple (which occurs when a comedone becomes inflamed).
For the best results, we also recommend our Acne Hydrafacial MD, True Acne Photofacial, and/or True iPixel Laser treatment to effectively minimize acne causing bacteria and acne scars. When getting facials for oily skin and acne, the aesthetician will perform each of the following procedures:
- Visia Skin Analysis: Our medical aesthetician performs a Visia Skin Analysis to thoroughly evaluate your skin conditions, such as acne, acne scars, sun damage, pores size and skin tone. While older skin is less likely to have breakouts, sometimes there can be deep congestion (blackheads) due to a build up of dead skin on the outer most layer.
- Cleansing and skin evaluation: The aesthetician wipes away any excess oil and dirt with a cotton pad or sponge. He/she then looks at your skin with a magnifying glass to evaluate your acne, sun damage, dehydration, and/or other conditions.
- Exfoliation: By definition, an exfoliant removes the top layer of your skin, which primarily consists of dead skin cells. Exfoliation is either a mechanical or chemical process: Mechanical exfoliants are scrubs or other course products that rub away dead skin. Chemical exfoliants are acids and enzymes that slough off dead skin.
- Extractions: An extraction is the physical unclogging of a clogged pore. The aesthetician uses a specific technique on each acne lesion, forcing the pus, bacteria, and sometimes blood up through the clogged follicle opening. It is a procedure that should only be performed by an experienced aesthetician or dermatologist as it can damage your pores if done incorrectly.
Makeup Tricks For Oily Skin
To maintain a fresh oil-free look through the day:
- Start with a moisturizing matifying lotion to absorb oil. This keeps oil from mixing with your foundation. Choose a lightweight lotion that will absorb oil.
- Use a damp sponge to refresh skin during the day.
- Use blotting papers to remove oil and blotting powder to erase the shine.
- Before applying eye shadow, use a dry eye primer or powder on the lid.
- Drink plenty of water. If you stay hydrated, your skin won’t produce as much oil.
- Use a lightweight moisturizer to help control oil production.
At True Med Spa, our aestheticians use the latest techniques and technology to ensure we are safely delivering the medical results that you are looking for. We hope that you find confidence in our knowledge and expertise and choose us to help you achieve your aesthetic goal. Contact us to schedule a complimentary skin analysis today.